Kofi Annan Award for Innovation in Africa 2024
⏰ Deadline: February 8, 2024
The second edition of the Kofi Annan Award for Innovation in Africa is now open for applications! After a successful first edition, the second edition of the Kofi Annan Award for Innovation in Africa – supported by the Austrian Development Agency and the WFP Innovation Accelerator – is committed to identifying and supporting innovative solutions that enhance food security and food systems resilience throughout Africa. As such, Kofi Annan foundation seeks innovative solutions from across Africa that contribute to Sustainable Development Goal 2, Zero Hunger, with a strong focus on achieving food security and improving nutrition.
The 2024 Kofi Annan Award seeks to support technology-powered solutions and approaches that are helping to improve food security and systems in Africa.
The award welcomes applications from social entrepreneurs with digital or technology-powered solutions for people in Africa. Innovations should address one or more of the following priority topics:
- Inclusion of marginalized groups in food security;
- Enhanced nutrition for women;
- Circular solutions and reduction of post-harvest losses.
- Your venture must be a for-profit legal entity and incorporated for at least two years at the time of application;
- Your solution is anchored in at least one African country;
- The applicant must have existing contacts/presence in the country of implementation: country office or other permanent presence, subsidiary, long-term operations or partnerships in the country;
- Your innovation clearly addresses one or more priority topics included in this call for applications;
- Your innovation has more than 1M people in the total addressable market;
- Your innovation must beat least at the Minimum Viable Product (MVP) stage. A validated prototype with user testing can also be eligible;
- You solution has a committed founding team of at least 3 full-time employees.
The WFP Innovation Accelerator, together with the Federal Chancellery of Austria (BKA), the Austrian Development Agency (ADA) and the Kofi Annan Foundation (KAF), wish to support innovative solutions that address the urgent food security needs of people across Africa. The programme offers:
- A WFP Acceleration Bootcamp for 9 promising teams;
- Funding opportunities up to EUR 250,000 for ventures that successfully progress to the Bootcamp stage;
- A 12-month WFP Sprint Programme for the 3 ventures selected to receive EUR 250,000;
- Access to an exclusive Network of Innovators for all 9 ventures.